these past few day’s weather just makes me want to make soup. it’s only the start of september, and some places are still experiencing heat in the 100’s, but around here we’ve been in the 60’s. (yesterday my heater turned on in the morning because it dipped below 65 in the house…no, i don’t live in alaska.)
so for today’s first of the school year lunch i made chicken tortilla soup (i also needed to get rid of my 5lb bag of tortilla chips).
- this time i made my own chicken broth by boiling a whole chicken.
- then i removed the chicken, threw in ~5 handfuls of tortilla chips, tomatoes (from our yard!), 1 onion chopped, boiled that for 30min.
- i let the soup cool until it’s warm, then i use an immersion blender and blend everything.
- then i added 2 cups cooked black beans, 2 cups cooked red beans, 1/2 cup chopped onions, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 3 cups shredded chicken, salt & pepper.
- if you want some heat add your favorite hot sauce to the mix!
to add to the soup> in separate bowls i have:
- tortilla chips
- sliced avocados
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- lime/lemon wedges
- a bottle of hot sauce